The Wood Family

The Wood Family
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 10, 2008

I've Decided

Okay I have decided I am NOT giving birth!!!!!! I have officially changed my mind.

We had our 2nd childbirth class yesterday, and it literally scared the crap out of me. She was explaining the different stages of labor, and how long they last, and what goes on from the beginning of labor until the delivering of the baby. Then we got to see a wonderful video (NOT!!!) of labor and birth. I am truly freaked right now. I also had NO CLUE how huge the placenta is. OH MY GOD!!!!! I thought it was like the size of a tennis ball, but OH no its flippin HUGE. Its like the size of a HUGE beach ball. My goodness. Then I find out about the up coming weeks after. Okay I knew you bled after giving birth, that's a given. But she told us you bleed for WEEKS after. And I mean she said you bleed. She talked about how much, and how they will send me home with these "undies" and "pads that are like diapers". WHAT!!!!!!! So not only do I have to take care of a newborn when I come home, I have to flow like a faucet, while doing it.

She also went over the different types of pain management. 1) medicine directly in the IV and 2) a epidural. Now I understand the IV medication, and I thought I knew about the epidural. Boy was I wrong. So she explained the epidural thing, and I am SO glad I am not getting it done. She stated how the needle goes in, and that they push this metal wire thing through the needle to the spin, then take the needle out. So you have this metal wire thing (looks like chicken wire) sticking out of your back, and then they put it to a machine, which sends the medicine to your spine. ((I thought the needle they insert to your spine was how the medicine was injected)) She also said that if you have a epi then they have to catheterize you, so you can empty your bladder. WHAT?!?!?!?! So you have a chicken wire coming from your back, a tube inserted up you, not to mention you know have to pass a watermelon. That is Crazy Insane!!!!!! If I was for getting a Epi prior to yesterday, I definitely am not now.

Well Kevin was SO great through the whole thing though. He could tell I was totally freaked out. He kept trying to calm me down, saying I can handle it, I will be great, think of the end prize. It was SO sweet!!! But really, can I handle it?? I know its all worth it, and the end result is holding my baby in my arms, but I am still freaked.

There are some things that she talked about yesterday, that I have to get with my doctor about because I am opting against some things. So hopefully there are no issues.
Last half hour of the class, we practiced our breathing exercises, and she introduced the birthing ball. We all took turns sitting on it, and I loved it. I am going to make sure I ask for it when I get checked in.

Well that's it for me today. Sorry for the long freak out, but I needed to get it out.
My Thought: How am I going to handle this? Especially since I am going to be doing this ALL natural