The Wood Family

The Wood Family
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, December 6, 2008

My thoughts

Well it is Saturday, December 6th @ 1:15am, and I cannot sleep. I am sitting on this uncomfy chair looking over at Naters sleeping in the crib, and seeing Kevin laying on the hard floor thinking to myself what is happening here??? How did we get here? I just don't understand how this is happening. I mean Nathan started out on the right track, and then it just stopped. You wouldn't know it by his personality, but he is a sick baby. I mean being 6 months and only weighing 11 pounds 11 ounces??? What is going on?? It's not like we don't feed him. He eats, but the pounds do not add on. I have never heard of this happening before.

So just a re-cap. Nathan was admitted into the hospital yesterday because of his FTT (failure to thrive) due to him being VERY under weight. This morning the Gi doctor came in and said they were going to put a tube down him from his nose to his stomach to help him gain the weight. Basically what will happen is, we will feed Nathan normally from his bottle, and what he does not finish the rest will be put into the tube. They are having him take in 4 ounces every 3 hours. He is talking about having the tube stay in place for a month. He explained that they will show us how to feed him with the tube, and also how to changed it out to place a new one in. I guess it has to be replaced every so often. I told him, there is NO WAY I am going to take the tube out, and force another one through is nose. Thank god for Emily. She is a nurse here, and a really good friend. She lives about 2 miles from us, and said she will come over and replace it when needed, and if we needed anything to give her a buzz. Again THANK GOD for her. So it was around 3pm on Friday I think that they came for us to take Nathan to the pain room (well treatment room they call it) Kevin and I walked with Nathan down there, while 2 nurses came in and got things ready. They asked me to hold down Nathan's hands while one held his head still, and the other inserted the tube. I couldn't do it. Kevin was the strong one, who could. SO as they have my baby all pinned down, in goes the tube. Nathan is screaming his head off, and gagging, while I am balling my eyes out. I just wanted to punch those chicks, scoop up my son and run. It was HORRIBLE!!!!! After it was inserted Kevin picked him up to comfort him, and all Nathan could do was cry and gag while I am still balling my eyes out. It was hard for awhile but Nathan finally calmed down, and got back to his happy self. You can tell it bothers him from time to time, but of course it would.

He fell asleep for a good while afterwards, and when he woke up Kevin said he sucked down his 4 ounces. Which was awesome, so no tube feeding. About 8:30pm the nurse came in and wanted to give him his medicine. (For his acid reflux) He was sleeping on me, so I asked her if she could just give it to him through the tube. I mean he already had been through so much, why make him taste and swallow yucky medicine. So she was nice enough to do it. (I am going to keep doing that while the tube is in. Why not help him out some, if I can??) 9pm rolled around and it was time for his feeding. Again my little man ate all 4 ounces. Afterward he fell asleep. So I decided to sleep since his next feeding was only 3 hours away. I woke up to him being fussy, and seen Kevin was holding him and feeding him. He ended up taking 3 ounces, so the last ounce was put through the tube. It didn't phase him at all. He slept through the whole thing. His next feeding is at 3am. Which I should be sleeping until then, but my mind is reeling, and I cannot turn it off. I figured this would help.

We are hoping he will be released Sunday, but we are not for sure yet. They are still doing his stool test (72 hrs), and we still have to learn about this tube. Part of me is really scared to bring him home, but I know that is what will be best for him. I have also decided to give him his big Christmas present early. He was chillin in this bouncer saucer in the play room and was loving it. So we are going to give him his bouncer when we get home. I think he will really enjoy it.
On the lighter side. Nathan played bingo yesterday and won all 3 rounds. He won this sweet toy, a bag full of alphabet blocks, and the stackable rings. He loves his new toys. (Except the blocks, which are being put away for later) His grandma also bought him this HUGE Diego balloon, which he LOVES. He has been in a pretty good mood for the most part. Its nice to see him smiling after all he has been through. He is such a trooper. Well its 1;45AM, and my eyes are getting heavy again. So I am going to get off of here, and try to rest. His next feeding is a 3am.
Bye for now!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment