Its 9:11pm on Sunday, and as I give this update, Nathan is sleeping soundly on his daddy.
Saturday, December 6, 2008
Saturday was a REAL ruff day. Nathan was just miserable. He did not take to well to the every 3 hour feeding of 4 ounces. He threw up most of it. It was hard for him to get up every 3 hours in the middle of the night. Nathan showed a weight loss at his 5:30am weight check. So when the doctors came in they were not pleased. Kevin and I got real mad at the doctors, because we were telling them that he can't handle that much food that often. They kept tellin us, that he needs to eat to gain weight, and help his brain function. Well no s**t. We understand he needs it, but he can't handle it. SO as I am sitting there balling my eyes out, Kevin was getting kinda loud. I guess you can say, we reached our breaking point. After we calmed down, we talked with the doctor, he changed his feedings to 3 1/2 ounces every 3 hours, plus put him on medicine to help him not throw up and settle his stomach. It seems to be working.
He has pretty much refused the bottle all together. So we are giving all his feeding through the tube. We still offer the bottle to him beforehand, but he never takes it. He cried a lot most of the day, he was just so uncomfy. They had to put in a IV to give him some more fluids, so now our lil man has a IV in his foot, and a tube down his nose. I hate seeing him like this. He had to have a ultrasound done, so we went down about 5pm for that. (Results came back normal) The nurses have been real great. The nurse Saturday night did not want to wake him up, so he could get a good night sleep, so at his midnight feeding she did not wake him up, but just fed him through the tube. (Kevin and I must have been knocked out, cause we did not hear her come in to feed him) I think Saturday was the worst day so far.
Sunday, December 7, 2008
At his 3am feeding he woke up about 15 minutes prior to his feeding, and was in a panic. He started crying and gagging real bad. It was horrible. He didn't really throw up though, so that was good. Once he calmed down, he took 1 ounce from the bottle and the rest was in the tube. The nurse told us she was going to weigh him before his next feeding, so we would have a "dry weight". So Nathan was weighed about 5:45am. He weighed in at 12 pounds 4 ounces. We were THRILLED!!!!!! But we asked the nurse if the IV bar would make the weight a lot higher. She said to take 1 ounce off for the IV bar. (So did the doc) Dr. El-Baba came in and was pleased with his weight, and said to keep up what we are doing. He also said they we can give Nathan his oatmeal and pears again. (Which we did and he was SO happy to get his pears) The doctor said Nathan will be here for another 3 to 7 days, and Monday they are doing the Barium upper GI test. He is putting off the scope for now, but is sure he will still have it. Kevin and I are now trying to figure out our work schedules, to see who will be up here and when. I should be going back Tuesday, as long as no major testing will take place. As much as I don't want to return to work, I have to make some money. The bills don't stop, because we are in the hospital.
My mom and Kevin's dad came up about 1:30pm to hang out, and kick us out. Kevin and I decided to take them up on their offer, since we were in desperate need of a shower~Lol. So Kevin and I went home, and when we walked in, we noticed the cats broke one of our ornaments. I was pissed, it was one of our dated ones. BUT, I can't be mad at them, its hard for them with us not being home. After we cleaned that up, I jumped in the shower, and man did it feel good. I did not want to leave. Afterwards we packed up some more stuff, then laid down about 4pm to take a short nap. It was really a restless one, but a least my headache went away. We got back up to the hospital around 7:40pm. We are so happy we are back. We really missed him. I did bring up stuff to do our Christmas cards. I really want to get them out this year. It is now 10:07pm, and Nathan is eating from his bottle. (YAY!!!) I am hoping he will finish it. Well that's all I have for now. I will update again, as soon as I can.
We also want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. It means a lot!!
UPDATE: Nathan took 2 1/2 ounces by bottle and 1 ounces through the tube!!


No comments:
Post a Comment