The Wood Family

The Wood Family
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, December 12, 2008

Thursday and Friday Update

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Today was pretty uneventful. When Dr. Ferguson came in, in the morning, they advised us they may try to schedule him for the G tube today. But we would have to wait to talk with Dr. El-baba. His results for the brain ultrasound came back just fine. They also tested his stool to see if he caught a cold, since he has been having diarrhea. That came back negative as well. He weighed in at 12 pounds 4 ounces. I had decided after I talked to the Dr. to come home and get a few hours of sleep, if they were not going to do the G tube. Well that didn't happen!!! The Dr. was in surgery most of the day and he did not get to see us until about 5pm. As I talked to the doctor, they decided they were going to schedule the surgery for tomorrow morning. The doctor also said that if all goes well, then he may be able to come home Sunday or Monday. I also spoke with the discharge nurse, and she advised me, that there will be things we will be taking home to care for him. And that a nurse would come to our home the day he is discharged to help us out. Then we will have a nurse come by from time to time to help us out. Well since it was after 5pm I decided it wasn't worth going home for a few hours and coming back. So I decided to nap there. Kevin got up to the hospital after work about 7pm. He was SO happy to be back. He took Naters for a walk, and Nathan absolutely LOVED it. He was smiling, flirting, and talking to all the nurses. It was SO cute. It was nice to see him in a great mood and smiling.

Friday, December 12, 2008

The nurse came in about 5am to get his weight, and of course wouldn't you know it, he lost. He weighed in at 11 pounds 15 ounces. I just don't get it. I really hope by having this G tube, that will help him gain the weight. I really hope we are not putting him through that for nothing. After he was weighed I decided to go back to sleep. Kevin was already sleeping soundly on the floor. The nurse came in about 7:00 am to wake me up, and let me know, they are going to come get Nathan about 8:30am. Since I couldn't fall back asleep I decided to watch a little bit of the news. (News update: The Senate declined the bailout loan for the big 3 automakers, andthey believe they found the remains of Little Kaylee who has been missing for about 7 months) The student nurses cam in to take Nathan's Vitals about 8am, and said they would take another set at about 8:15am before transport comes to get Nathan. Well at about 8:35am or so, transport came, and we took Nathan down to the 2nd floor for his surgery. Once we got there, the nurse and anastegologist came in and asked a few questions. They said the surgery would take about an hour. So they took our little man, and we went to the waiting room. Waiting seemed to take FOREVER!!!! About an hour later Dr. El-baba came out to talk with us. He said everything went well, and even gave us a picture of what the tube looks like from inside his belly. He said that he will be probably have it for at least 4 months or so, but could be longer. He said some kids have it in for years. (GOD, I hope it won't be in for years)

After talking to the Dr. we went up to his room to wait for him. It seemed to take a long time, but then the nurse came in and said Nathan was very uncomfortable so they were keeping him a bit longer to give him a high dose this drug that the 6th floor can't get. Finally he came up. It was SO good to see out little boy. He was very cranky, and fussy, but he wasn't really awake either. They took his vitals and showed us the tube. Its right above his belly button. Kevin held him for a long while then we had him put back in bed. That way he would be more comfy. The nurse said that she docent think he is in much pain, but that he just doesn't like the way the drugs are making him feel. I am sure its a little of both. Right now as I type this he is resting comfortably. I hope he can get plenty of rest today. That's it for now. I will post more when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment