The Wood Family

The Wood Family
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

That was easy

Well they ended up postponing Nathan's surgery till today. They had too many emergencies Monday that they couldn't get Nathan in. So Nathan will have his J tube surgery done sometime today. Which I was kinda of upset about, because they stressed how they didn't want to wait any longer, and I left work, because they made it out to be this huge emergency, when I could have stayed. Anywho, they also did not move us closer to the nurses station. They felt the room we were in was just fine. They came in about 10:30 and said he was scheduled for 1pm, and that he can eat up till the procedure. 1pm came and we were still waiting. Finally about 1:45pm, they came in and said the person in front of Nathan was taking longer than expected, but we are next. Nathan ended up going down there about 2:30pm. Once we got downstairs they let Kevin and I take him in the room. When we got into the room, they explained how the procedure would work, and that it was pretty easy, and that it would only take about 10 minutes. They also said he would not need any sedation or medication. WHAT?!?!?!?! We were shocked. I explained that when they explained it to us, that it was a surgery, and he needed sedation. But they assured us that it was a simple procedure. So as we were leaving they were strapping Nathan down. I kinda hung around the door to hear how Nathan was doing. He was crying but not too bad. And once he came out, he was SO happy to see us. They said Nathan did great.

He was in a great mood after, and you couldn't tell he had anything done. They started his feed about 7pm. They were starting him with 25ml/hr for 4 hours then 2 hours off. Then they would up it 5ml/hr every 6 hours. He did great!!! At one point he gagged some, like he was gonna throw up, but he didn't. He slept great through the night, and so far has tolerated his feeds. They want to work him up to 50ml/hr. And we can still use the pregestimil formula. Which is a good thing, since I have about 15 cans at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment